Wednesday 16 August 2006

MIND-DRIBBLES Thrust into Technological Mayhem

Good grief...

This is a truly bizarre occurrence and something I never would have thought could happen. This is what too much solitaire does for you, makes you search for fun in strange places. No, none of that was a euphemism for kinky naughtiness, I am talking about dipping my toe in a technological ocean, and I always was afraid of the water...

I am a good, old-fashioned pen and ink girl and have spent the last ten years (since the concept of computing first raised it's head out of the mists to me), avoiding anything that has to be plugged in to enable writing , reading or drawing.


This has proved to be problematic, particularly in terms of employment, where I now find myself competing with ten-year olds who are fully competent with the Microsoft Office package, because they have been taught it at SCHOOL!! I remember drawing pictures of fly-agaric mushrooms on Poulner Common at school, which frankly, sounds a hell of a lot more fun.
But time spent daydreaming with sequins and bugle beads instead of embracing the new Shakespeare (Mr. Microsoft), has somehow, to cut a long-winded and torturous story of long-haul flights,romance and heartbreak with a green tinged hue, lead me into an administration job. I was able to get such a mind-expanding position due to the fact that despite my computerized short-comings, I am far more organized than anyone else who works here. But I am consistently bored as due to the afore-mentioned disorganization, I have had bugger-all to do now for the three months I have been here.
You may think having nothing to do all day and getting paid for it, even if it does mean sitting on a bus for 45 minutes at an ungodly hour in the morning, can only be a good thing.
But you are wrong.
And now I, finally, return to my point. Being technologically stunted, the only thing I have been able to do to pass time, is play solitaire ad-nauseam. But once I started to hear Sue Barker's voice giving running commentary on e-v-e-r-y game, I realized maybe it was time to get over my fears and broaden my computerized horizons.
It has been on my mind for some time, but yesterday I finally cracked, and took the first step.
I bought my first-ever-not-hand-me-down-trash, brand-spanking-new mobile phone, with gizmos-galore!
So now I can take highly witty or deep-thought provoking pictures and put them on the super-information-highway (or whatever it's called these days) to facilitate my new time-filling device - blogging! (Groan, I feel like such a goddamn NERD all of a sudden.) But that will have to wait until my far more advanced, wood-dwelling companions, teach me the wondrous world of inter-phone/computer thingy stuff.
I will now fill my long and fruitless days by amusing all the thousands of people, who will, no doubt, all be clamoring to read my mind-dribbles.